The Old Town in Toruń – the oldest part of the Old Town Complex in Toruń (the other two being the New Town and the Teutonic Castle), bounded by the Old Town Moat, Theatre Square, Podmurna Street and the city walls on the side of the Vistula River. The Old Town is home to most of Toruń’s most valuable monuments.
Selected monuments in the Old Town:
Market Square with the Old Town Hall
church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, gothic from the 13th century
St. st. Janów, gothic from the 13th-14th centuries.
Burghers’ houses from the end of the 13th-18th centuries.
the so-called House of Copernicus, a complex of two gothic tenement houses from the 15th century, reconstructed in the 1960s, presumed place of birth of Nicolaus Copernicus
Kamienica Pod Gwiazdą, originally gothic, rebuilt in the 16th and 17th centuries, briefly owned by Filip Kallimach
town walls, started around the mid-thirteenth century, built until the fifteenth century. Several towers (including the Leaning Tower, Koci Łeb) and 3 gates (Mostowa, Żeglarska and Klasztorna).
church of st. Ducha, from the 18th century, tower from the end of the 19th century.
Artus Court, neo-Renaissance from 1888
town palaces from the 18th century, rebuilt in the 19th century: Dąmbski, Jakub Fenger, Meissner, Riess
tenement houses from the 19th and 20th centuries
Nicolaus Copernicus Monument from 1853
Trzy Korony Hotel, existing from 1480 until today.